Thursday, October 22, 2009

Is recommended to have additional spyware protection with Norton Antivirus 2008?

For example, in the past it was strongly recommended to have a dedicated anti-spyware program (such as spysweeper) along with a dedicated anti-virus program. Given my situation, I have both Norton AV 2008 and the recent Webroot Spysweeper on my Vista box. Would it be wise to dump the Spysweeper program and just trust Norton's "anti-spyware" claims? I understand both programs are resource hogs. (can't live with them, can't live without them)



P.S., I understand some people don鈥檛 like either or. Please refrain from a full out product war debate.



Is recommended to have additional spyware protection with Norton Antivirus 2008?liveupdate



Keep Spysweeper! Spyware/Adware is much more prevalent than true "viruses" and Spysweeper is a very good program. Forget about Adaware as mentioned by another person (it's crap), Spysweeper is much better. Yes, they are resource hogs unfortunately (especially Norton), but you paid for them so you might as well keep 'em. I would suggest a secondary spyware scanner as a backup. Try SuperAntispyware Free Edition. It is an on-demand scanner so you won't have to worry about it hogging any resources when you are not scanning. Trust me, I do this for a living!



EDIT: The guy below me has got to be bored following up and adding negative spin to all my answers. It's actually kind of cute! Wish he had more credibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment