Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My PC is running very slowly...what can I do to clean it up and help it run faster?

What type of files to delete, isnt there some disk frag clean up thing? Our home pc has 3 users on it, I have saved all off our pictures and deleted the ones on the pc. I have no music files, or video files.



We do have a virus protection up, and I check it regularly.



My PC is running very slowly...what can I do to clean it up and help it run faster?auto protect



There are two most common causes of slowness.



1. Too many programs running in the background (take a look at running processes by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL all at the same time). Ideally, you want to be as low as possible (mine is around 40) while still running essential software such as your antivirus.



2. Not enough RAM. Windows XP needs a minimum of 512MB %26 Windows Vista needs a minimum of 1GB to run efficiently and not drive you crazy with the slowness.



Related to #1 above, you might have a SPYWARE infection that your antivirus program is not catching. Try downloading %26 installing a trial version of Webroot Spy Sweeper ( http://www.webroot.com ) %26 see if that picks up anything.



My PC is running very slowly...what can I do to clean it up and help it run faster?downloads



In addition to running a disk defragment program, getting rid of spy-ware, adding RAM, and deleting unused files, there are some other "tricks" to speed things up. There are some settings you can adjust in the system control panel applet where display items can be changed or turned off if you don't need them or use them. This is a "cut the fat" approach that can be very effective when you total up all these little wasted memory hogs such as "highlight newly installed programs" or "open sub-menus when I pause on them with my mouse".

No comments:

Post a Comment