Thursday, November 5, 2009

How do you turn off the write protection in windows XP Home?

I can see why some people didn't like windows XP home, the whole "documents and settings" directory is write protected.



Recently, a virus got past my firewall and manifested itself in the (my account name)\local settings directory. My anti-virus program finds the virus every time I connect to the net but can't delete or quarantine it because the directory is write protected.



I have tried starting in safe mode and setting all the permissions for "all users" to checked, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.



When the folder's properties are open the read-only box is filled with a translucent square instead of a check mark.



My anti virus program is McAfee.



Could someone help me out?



How do you turn off the write protection in windows XP Home?liveupdate



I don't think the dirctory is write-protected. The file is currently in use. Run the computer in safemode. Backup the registry and then search it for any keys with the name of the file that McAffee Identified. Delete these keys. What is the name of the file? That information could help me alot in answering this question. It could be the virus that is making the whole directory write protected. Try deleting the file in safemode. If it won't let you make sure it is not running.



How do you turn off the write protection in windows XP Home?nortin



change anti virus... and make sure you tried already system restore.
Try changing the permissions this way:



Important: If you are not joined to a domain and you want to view the Security tab: 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.



2. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.



3. Click the View tab, and then click to clear the Use simple file sharing [Recommended] check box in the Advanced settings box.
try using avast anti-virus.... and delete your temporary internet files

No comments:

Post a Comment